.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

takoma park folk festival

On Sunday the 14th we just lazed around while, then in the afternoon went to the Takoma Park Folk Festival. We went later in the day because there was supposed to be a contra dance and we wanted to get a dance or two in. There was lots of good food (fried plantains, yum!) and I had a freshly squeezed limeade. We got a pro-choice sticker from planned parenthood and laughed at the Mc Cain table that had nobody at it while the Obama table was mobbed. There were lots of arts & crafts, all either tacky and overpriced or nice and expensive, neither of worked for me.

Finally it was time for the contra dance, which was in the gym of a school. Fortuitously, there was a table with crayons and coloring books so we set Nina up with both in the bleachers and we danced a couple. It was nice, but I kept obsessively looking over every time I was facing Nina's way to make sure she was still there. She kept telling me that she didn't want to dance. And then, miraculously, she did! It was so much fun for me to dance with her (she and I danced as one person, with Larry as our partner). When it was time to swing, we just did it as a circle. She said she had fun and it great for me to know that she was even younger than I was the first time she got to contra dance. I only wish I had pictures of it!

No comments: