.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

gluten free matzoh (sort of) balls

The rainy weather yesterday and today inspired me to make some chicken soup (with lima beans and wild rice, yum). But I knew Nina probably wouldn't eat it unless there was some sort of carbish kind of thing to eat it with, so I decided to try my hand at gluten free matzoh balls. Traditional matzoh balls are made from ground up matzoh crackers, but I decided to use flours instead. They turned out pretty well and Nina ate a lot more soup than she would have without the dumplings (and she never knew there were carrots and zucchini in it because they're pureed with a stick blender).

2 eggs, beaten
1 tbs melted butter
1 cup soup
equal parts amaranth flour and masa harina (I get my organic masa from Gold Mine, it's a mail order place but it's near my house so I pick up instead of getting it shipped. It's seriously the best tasting masa I have ever had.)

Mix together the first 3 ingredients, and then enough of the other two to make a batter that can be rolled between the hands to make ping pong (or slightly larger) sized balls. Drop into lightly boiling soup. Once the balls start to float, cook a few minutes more. Test one to see if it tastes done. Raw corn tastes raw so it should be easy to tell.

These don't taste 100% authentic and they're a little more dense than a lot of people like their matzoh balls, but as far as my family is concerned, they'll do just fine.


No comments: