.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

battle of the csa boxes, week 2

As of last Sunday I hadn't heard from JR Organics yet, though I mailed out both applications with the checks on the same day. But this week I got a call from someone over at JR Organics telling me that they had gotten my application but it got photocopied and only half came out right, so what plan did I actually want, etc. A little obstacle, but still fine so far. I definitely told the person I spoke to on the phone that I wanted my first pickup to be today and she said that would be fine (I wrote that I was trying out two different farms on both applications, the Inland Empire person said they were interested to hear what I thought in an email). They did send me a confirmation email, but I must not have read it properly, because today I got a call telling me that I wasn't supposed to have a pickup today (I feel bad for the person whose box I got, but the person at the market should have known better). So I'm not super impressed with the communication and customer service so far. But the food is a different matter, it's all gorgeous. This is what came in the box today (as a unique feature, the food comes in a blue rubbermaid-type bin that you return, I have belonged to CSAs for over ten years now, and that's a first).

  • 1 bunch of baby carrots (why do people always think we want the greens attached? they take up space and I don't care for the way they smell)
  • 1 beautiful bunch of chard (not that I like it, but I can appreciate good looking produce)
  • 1 bunch of baby elephant garlic
  • 1 bunch of kale (again, very good looking)
  • 5 small oranges, not sure what kind (valencia?)
  • 6 apples, one a bit bruised looking
  • 1 head lettuce (need I say? it's gorgeous, I should take pics)
  • 1 small bunch of baby turnips
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 4 heads of leaf lettuce
  • 1 pint of strawberries (they look good but haven't tried them yet, it's a more full pint than last week's)

No comments: