.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

bring on the alliums!

Today was the first pickup of our full membership in Inland Empire CSA. We got:


  • 1 small head of romaine lettuce
  • 4 heads of young garlic
  • 1 small bag of salad mix
  • 2 pints of strawberries
  • 1 bunch of red dandelion greens
  • small bunch of leeks
  • 1 bunch of basil
  • 3 small red onions (may be garlic, not sure)
  • 2 white onions, not cured
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 bag of new potatoes (small, mostly marble or golf ball sized)
  • 2 baby zucchini
  • 2 grapefruit
  • 5 oranges
  • 3 haas avocados
And the farmer was so happy that I had emailed him a list of my posts about the battle of the CSA boxes that he gave me two tangerines and enough patty pan squashes to make one of my favorite spring/summer meals, stuffed patty pan squashes.

Oh, and are you wondering what I've been doing with all the alliums we've been getting these past few weeks? I put them all in the food processor with some olive oil (organic, extra virgin, don't bother with anything else). When they were close to pureed, I put the pastey stuff into ice cube trays. When I need some now, I just take a cube out of the freezer.

No comments: