.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Saturday, October 04, 2008

let's talk about some movies

I am sadly behind in telling you about my visits to the theater for the last few months. I had been really jazzed about seeing the Will Smith movie Hancock and finally got out of the house to see it, got to the theater a few minutes early, and then somehow managed to walk into the wrong theater. It took me a shockingly long time to realize it and by the time I did it was too late to go to the other theater. Anyway, I'm glad I got it wrong because I enjoyed Iron Man immensely and probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I mean, seriously, how could I not enjoy a movie that features a song by Suicidal Tendencies (as in "all I wanted was a Pepsi...and she wouldn't give it to me") in the first 15 minutes?

Next up was Mamma Mia, which I also really liked. With the exception of Meryl Streep, whose singing and acting pretty much ruined the A Prairie Companion movie for me. But I love ABBA and it was just such a cute movie that even La Streep couldn't kill my enjoyment. Pierce Brosnan's singing wasn't so hot either but it really didn't bother me. The beautiful colors, the amazing cast, and the music. Unless you hate ABBA, see it. And at this point, since it's out on video, you can dance and sing along. You know you want to.

Oh Brideshead Revisited, I had such high hopes for you. And they were dashed at the AFI Silver Spring. I suppose I should have known that it couldn't be done well in 133 minutes but I felt like Sebastian's character was very flat and underdeveloped, which is a shame because I felt like he was so very alive in the Granada 1981 version. At the same time, I felt like Matthew Goode's Charles Ryder was so similar Jeremy Irons' portrayal that he really didn't make the role his own and brought nothing new to it. Though the older version is very grainy and the color is, of course, not as good, the 1981 version is still far superior. Same with the costumes, the ones from the 1981 version were breathtaking and the ones in the new version are just nice.

Last night I went to see The Dark Knight. It was good but not great, I thought; something about it was flat for me. I love Christian Bale, though, and think he makes a great batman. I really don't care for Aaron Eckhart so maybe that colors my opinion. Maggie Gyllenhaal is as cute as a button but even her performance was lacking, I thought. Worth seeing, but not great, I think. Of course, Heath Ledger's performance was fabulous as The Joker.

No comments: