.

What is wilson silverleaf? We're organitarians; it's best for our bodies and the planet. We cloth diapered Nina for the same reason. We drive a hybrid car & wish we could afford solar panels on our house. I'm a strong advocate for homebirth, full-time mom, & also a movie junkie. We don't have a tv though; we watch dvds on our computer. We love contradancing. I garden & knit; Larry's a puzzle lover & plays fantasy football.

Monday, October 20, 2008

poncho

Last weekend we went to visit Larry's family in upstate New York (will post about that very soon, pinky swear). We stayed with his dad's cousin and his wife in their lovely, perpetually gourmet food filled home. And Anne, the wife, is a knitter who unloaded some of her stash on me.

She gave me this yarn to make a scarf for myself but at some point I started to see a poncho for Nina instead. After much searching I found this simple pattern and started working feverishly (obsessively) on Thursday and finished it yesterday. I love it and I think it came out really well.

The nice thing about the pattern is that it's knit top down so you just stop when you run out of yarn. The yarn is fingering or lace weight and I plied two strands together on all but the last few rows.

I haven't washed this poncho yet but the process (called fulling) will pull the stitches together and make it look better and fuzzier.

It's very soft, and I'm very happy with it; I think next time I will do a roll neck instead of a ribbed one. Anne also gave me some gorgeous multicolored super soft merino which I will use to make myself a felted cloche like the one I made and gave to Susan. And she gave me two skeins of Noro Kureyon to add to my Lizard Ridge afghan (which is close to done).

No comments: